Another Mother's Hoverboard

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Peter Pan complex

Bedtime.

We talk for a LONG time, he and i. hard to believe he's closer to a decade-old than to the baby that slept on my chest each night. It's especially hard since he's been having a Peter Pan complex lately. Any time the topic of "how big" he's getting or "when he's a grown up" arises, he verges on tears, and declares he doesn't WANT to growup. Then ACTUAL tears follow these assertions because HE KNOWS he has to. He understands that's not something he CAN choose...AWFUL. I WOULD LOVE TO KEEP YOU YOUNG FOREVER TOO, LITTLE BUDDY!

Then, we settle down and start to cuddle all snug ready to close our eyes and imagine. Our "garden" meditation (from our children's book of meditations, his favorite) is the old standby for visualization. Tonight I tell him I am changing my garden to be the location of our summer vacation rental cottage instead. I just can't wait to get back there...

He tells me he's not doing a garden at all tonight. Rather, he's going to imagine he's chasing a giant, running CHEESE! Who is hugging his best buddy, Bacon. And Bacon is hugging HIS best buddy TUNA!

He giggles and rolls over. Peter Pan is alive and well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home